Thursday, July 20, 2006

That You May Live

Amos was a sweet prophet. I guess it wouldn't be hard for one to figure out why I liked him so much. He focused primarily on Israel's lack of social justice as opposed to other prophets during his time that focused on idolatry (not that condemning idolatry isn't great as well). Also, he makes it very clear that God used him to be a prophet and that he wasn't raised to be one, he was a sheepbreeder. I love this guy!

I underlined many lines concerning social justice. They are all over the place in this book. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone in order to refresh themselves with God's concern for the unconcerned. To show this there is a certain part of Amos that struck me. To me this passage wasn't so "in your face" rhetoric, but definitive nonetheless.....and I'm praying that I am not using eisegesis in this....The Lord is calling Israel to repentance in Amos 5. He starts His plea by saying, "Seek Me and live" (Amos 5:4). He then restates Himself, "Seek the Lord and live" (Amos 5:6). He then gives an awesome account about how He is God over all of creation. He then again rebukes Israel for their disregard for the needy and oppressed. Finally, as He calls to repentance again, He says, "Seek good and not evil, That you may live; So that the Lord God of hosts will be with you" (Amos 5:14).

I find it interesting that the Lord says this in the context of social injustice.
Amazing! I would invite everyone to ponder and meditate on this.

1 comment:

John Lynch said...

Deep. Ponder, I will. Thanks.