Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Advent 2011: The Already Here and Coming Kingdom, Week 1

Advent (from the Latin word adventus meaning "coming") is a time of reflection and thankfulness for the king/messiah Jesus' arrival thousands of years ago and the anticipation of His return to fully realize and completely usher in His Kingdom.

No other topic has captivated my heart, my studies, my attention, and my desires over the past several years than Jesus and his primary message of the "kingdom of God". I am intrigued, challenged, motivated, and laser-focused on this Kingdom. It is the reason I go to Asia. It is the reason I pursue justice, righteousness, and shalom. It is the reason I pray, "your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth AS IT IS in heaven." I would give anything for this kingdom. My life. My family. My possessions. My nation. My earthly inheritance. My comfort. My well-being. My all. I love Jesus. I love his Kingdom.

Jesus, hear my prayer:

But according to your promise, I am waiting for the new heavens and new earth in which righteousness dwells (2 Peter 3). Until you come, enable me to be a small, feeble part of proclaiming in word and deed your kingdom now (John 20). Amen. 

No comments: