Saturday, October 03, 2009

Commitment to Nonviolence

Soon after God made the radical transformation in my life, one area of conviction that happened almost instantaneously were my views on violence.war.capital punishment.hate.

It was an undeniable feeling in my heart that the aforementioned aspects of life stood in complete contrast to the ethic of life that Jesus was and promoted, and the intrinsically linked Kingdom of God expression. God traveled me down the road of becoming a Follower who accepts and practices nonviolence.

Most people know about this because it is one of the first social causes I take up, and I know that perhaps my extreme commitment (i.e. moderate pacifism) to nonviolence isn't well received in most Evangelical circles. Nevertheless, I still feel a yearning, a calling, a pleading deep down in my heart and soul that what I stand for is "good"...I acknowledge it perhaps may not be "right" in the objective, analytical, practical sense...yet, I take comfort that neither does the gospel. Make sense of God's paradoxical Kingdom, and you have perhaps cracked the biggest nut history has ever contemplated.

The United Nations has designated October 2nd as "International Nonviolence Day". My prayers today will be focused on God's Kingdom in which "there will be war no more" and the Lamb who was led to slaughter though He had done no wrong in order to bring us peace.

"Nonviolence is the greatest force at the disposal of humanity. It is mightier than the mightiest weapon of destruction devised by the ingenuity of humanity. Nonviolence is not passivity in any shape or form. It is the most active force in the world. Nonviolence is the supreme law. Just as one must learn the art of killing in the training for violence, so one must learn the art of dying in the training for nonviolence. One person who can express nonviolence in life exercises a force superior to all the forces of brutality. We are constantly being astonished these days at the amazing discoveries in the field of violence, but I maintain that far more undreamt of and seemingly impossible discoveries will be made in the field of nonviolence. My optimism rests on my belief in the infinite possibilities of the individual to develop nonviolence. The more you develop it in your own being, the more infectious it becomes till it overwhelms your surroundings and by and by might oversweep the world. We have to make truth and nonviolence not matters for mere individual practice, but for practice by groups and communities and nations. That, at any rate, is my dream. When the practice of nonviolence becomes universal, God will reign on earth as God reigns in heaven." -Mohandas Gandhi

Psalm 46
To the choirmaster. Of the Sons of Korah. According to Alamoth. A Song. God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.

Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way, though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,

though its waters roar and foam, though the mountains tremble at its swelling. Selah

There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God, the holy habitation of the Most High.

God is in the midst of her; she shall not be moved; God will help her when morning dawns.

The nations rage, the kingdoms totter; he utters his voice, the earth melts.

The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah

Come, behold the works of the Lord , how he has brought desolations on the earth.

He makes wars cease to the end of the earth; he breaks the bow and shatters the spear; he burns the chariots with fire.

"Be still, and know that I am God. I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth!"

The Lord of hosts is with us; the God of Jacob is our fortress. Selah

No comments: