Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Easter Reflections


Many of us celebrated Easter last week. Growing up, Easter was mainly about eggs, family, pastel colors, and candy. As I got older it became more about Jesus. When I began maturing as a Believer it became so much more...it also became more for me in 2009....

Ever since the Lord radically stepped into the chaos of my life in my mid-twenties, I have been drawn to Holy Week. However, my draw was not to Sunday, but Friday. The Passion movie only fueled the fire. Easter was nice, but I felt closer to God on Good Friday. Why is this? One thing I have found out is that I can more vividly picture Jesus' last week before His death, than His presence after the Resurrection. Of course, Scripture is filled with lots of stories about His life before His death, and very few after the Resurrection. I am sure this plays a part. I also feel that I moped around as a young Believer, focusing mainly on my depravity, guilt, shame, and sin...this somehow led me to associate easier with Jesus dying for all of that.

As the years have gone by in my faith journey I have had a new kind of aweness of Holy Week. Good Friday is still precious to me, but the Resurrection has been opened up to me as well. I believe this has happened as the Spirit has given me a greater balance of understanding the awesomeness of the Resurrection. How does this play out in my life? Although I am full of sin and desperately need Jesus to cleanse that through His blood, I am also now a child of God, a new creation, fully redeemed with new life because Jesus died AND rose again. I am also struck by the fact that the disciples were moping around after Jesus' death, wondering if they had made a mistake...until Jesus reappeared...and it was only after that reappearance that the world was set on fire...

No comments: